Brief Kiribati Total Solar Eclipse Tour 2009
NOTICE: Bookings for this tour close May 15, 2009.
Availability after this date can NOT be guaranteed.
- Jul 18 Fly to Nadi
- Jul 19 Cross dateline
- Jul 20 Arrive Fiji
Overnight at Denarau Island Radisson Resort Fiji Radisson Resort Fiji Denarau Island is Fiji’s newest 5 star luxury beachfront Resort. Offering a myriad of resort facilities nestled around lagoon swimming pools and lush tropical gardens combined with warm genuine Fijian hospitality makes Radisson Resort Fiji Denarau Island is the perfect choice for pure relaxation or a family getaway
- July 21
Fly Nadi to Tarawa FJ 231 1210/1510
Transfer to the airport for flight to Tarawa. Transfer to hotel Tarawa.
This afternoon, we will have a short tour of Tarawa including the remains of the famous WWII battles, the shipyard, the catholic churches, colorful windows of the churches and the cultural center of the island that promotes the local handicraft materials.
- Tarawa is, like Iwo Jima, a famous WWII battleground. The islands of Kiribati moved back and forth between Japanese and Allied hands numerous times. Many of the relics and artifacts still remain today as part of the local scenery in harbors, yards and beachesAccommodation: Tarawa Hotel
- July 22
Eclipse Day - SuperCarrier Tarawa - Marakei
0500 departure by Ferry for Marakei. Our ferry trip on eclipse day will take approximately 6-7 hours depending on our route and sea conditions. Our route will take us north past the neighboring island of Abaiang along the way
- Arrival to Marakeiat approx. 12:00 noon local time.
C.M. Woodford in 1895 described the island of Maraki as “the most perfect known” when seen from the masthead of a ship. “It is like a garland thrown upon the water.”
- First Contact occurs at 2:44 PM local time
- Maximum eclipse is at 3:57 PM local time
- Duration of totality is 3:59 at a viewing site on the beach.
- Fourth Contact occurs at 5:01 PM local time
- We will enjoy a celebration barbeque on the beach this evening before departure at approximately 5:30pm.
- Return by Ferry to Tarawa - arrival at approx. 11:30pm
We will enjoy a celebration barbeque on the beach this evening before departure by SuperCat at approximately 5:30pm.
Return by SuperCarrier to Tarawa - arrival at approximately 11:30pm
Accommodation: Tarawa Hotel
- July 23
Fly Tarawa to Nadi FJ 230 1130/1430
Transfer to the airport for your flight.
Or add 3 extra nights at the Radisson for only $450 pp.
or extra 4 extra nights at Castaway Island for as little as $490 pp
- Price per person: $2895 double occupancy
Single Supplement: $357
RT Airfare from LAX available for $850 plus tax.